Monday, April 29, 2013

Why Live Anywhere but Los Angeles?

That is an exaggeration,  but after returning from a trip to LA, that is more or less how I feel. Sure I've been to the city before and so it is not like I am overwhelmed at a first time experience. It helps that I was visiting my daughter and stayed in the comfort of her apartment, complete with cats and a wonderful view of tall palm trees perched on a hill. I loved being with her.
LA is friendly, cool,  with a sense of humor. It doesn't take itself too seriously. How can it? It is the film capital of the world, meaning that it is all about manufacturing illusions for a public eager to indulge. It has one foot planted in escapism and the other in real work, with people hustling back and forth trying to make a buck to the fast rhythms of the city, all in a beautiful setting. It's  tropical like Rio, but easier to handle, and you don't feel that chaos simmering in the background. I lived in Rio.
LA is also a family town. In the Armenian section you see people of all generations walking together, wheeling baby strollers, sticking to their culture like nobody's business. I felt good seeing that. It reminded me of the Mediterranean.
I found excellent and inexpensive food in Thai restaurants. Actually the prices in LA were not too high at all, with the big exception of the rent.
Film festivals everywhere, people who were quick and engaging, actually all kinds of people walking around, including an elegant  seventy something woman with short pink and purple hair (I loved it.) Be anything you want to be in LA, it's all accepted. Come to think of it, why would you want to live anywhere else? As soon as I rent my house I'm moving out there.

2 comments: